Vaalaippu is an ingredient which many of us don’t like to have as simple fry or kootu. Most of us might have heard about vadai made out of banana flower. This is a kebab version of it.
Plantain Flower/Vaalaippu – 1/2 of a big flower
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Water – little (to make balls)
Small Onion -5
Green Chilli – 1
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Mint leaves + Coriander leaves together – 1/4 cup
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Fried Gram/Pottukadalai – 1/2 cup
1. Clean Plantain flower (Vaalaipoo), soak it in water mixed with turmeric powder, salt and buttermilk for 20 – 25 mins. Then drain it.
2. Add salt to it and grind in a blender. Keep it separately.
3. Take all the ingredients for grinding and grind it using a blender.
4. While grinding take care that you don’t add too much water (add water by sprinkling it). Then you will not be able to make balls out of it.
5. Now add both the ground items, salt (as you have already added salt for the flower, little salt is enough) and mix well. Make balls using this mixture. If needed you can sprinkle some water.
6. In a kadai pour oil, let it become hot (when you keep your hands above, you will be able to feel the heat). In a medium flame, fry the balls in the oil till they turn golden brown in colour.
7. Drain the oil and the kebabs are ready. You can squeeze little lemon on top while serving.
8. It can be served with carrots, cucumber, onion rings and coriander leaves to make it more presentable and nutritious. It can also be served with tomato sauce or mayonnaise, whichever is your choice.