Red Aval – 1 cup
water – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium size
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Curry leaves – little
Mustard, Uradh dhal – little
Bengal Gram – 1 tbsp
Salt – as required
Oil – little
1. Grind red aval to a course powder (like ravai).
2. Soak bengal gram in water for 15 mins.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped green chilli, grated ginger, soaked bengal gram and curry leaves. Fry for few seconds.
4. Add chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
5. Add water and salt. When you see bubbles getting formed, reduce the heat to low and add the ground aval. Mix well without lumps.
6. Close the vessel and cook for 5-10 mins stirring in between. Once the aval is cooked, it is ready to be served.
This is a healthy morning breakfast. Children will like to have it with sugar and bananas. It tastes good with chutneys too.
Do you want to make this breakfast a more healthy one? You can do it by adding badam (almonds to it). See Red Aval Badam Upma Recipe.