Everyone like to have soft idlis and crispy dosas. But, when we make it in our home, we rarely get what we want. We try different methods with tips from neighbors and friends and from online blogs too. Over a period of time, I have developed the following method. I assure you will get soft idlies and crispy dosas following this method.
Idly Rice – 4 cups
Uradh dhal – 1 1/4 cup
Fenugreek – 2 tbsp
Sago – 1/4 cup
Salt as required
1. Take rice, fenugreek in a vessel. In another vessel take uradh dhal and sago.
2. Add enough water in both vessels and let it get soaked for about 10 hours.
3. Drain excess water and grind dhal mix using a grinder for 20 – 25 mins. You should get a fine paste form. Transfer it to a vessel.
4. Grind rice mix in the grinder. This should not form a fine paste. It should neither be too coarse nor too smooth. Mix this with already ground batter in a vessel.
5. Mix it well. Leave it to ferment over night (for about 12 – 15 hours). When the climate is hot, fermentation takes less time (sometimes even 10 hours). When the climate is cool, fermentation will take more time (15 hours).
6. After fermentation mix enough salt. The batter is ready for use. You can bake idlies and can also make dosas.